I have been working on the Closing of Ranch Road/Herford Way at the south end of the Ranch.? Park County officials have been contacted and request for information have been made as to why this road was closed. To date I have not received a reply. I will continue with my attempts to resolve this problem.
I would like to remind everyone that our Christmas Party will be held this Saturday December 8, 2012 from 6P.M. till 9P.M. at the HFPD Station 5 which is located at Ranch and Campfire Roads.? We will supply the main course, coffee, pop and water.? You are asked to bring a covered dish.? If you wish to participate in the gift exchange, please bring a gift under $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for children.? We will have door prizes. ??Please join us. To confirm your attendance please contact the Ranch Office at 836-2079. John will also answer any questions concerning the Party.
John Keiser, Member at Large
I would like to bring to everyone’s attention
Proper Disposal of Ashes?
Fireplaces, Pellet Stoves, Woodburners, etc.
With the increased use of outdoor fireplaces and alternative heating/cooking methods the Ranch of the Rockies Association would like to remind you of proper ways to dispose of leftover ashes.? Improper ash disposal from indoor/outdoor fireplaces and wood burning stoves causes thousands of fires every year.
Many people do not realize the length of time required for ashes to cool enough for disposal.? Even after several days a pile of ashes can hold enough heat to reignite and start a fire.? Four days (96 hours) is the minimum cooling period for ashes.??? Extra care should be used in the storage and final disposal.
Make sure there are no hot spots left in the ashes.? This is done by soaking them in water or letting them sit for several days and double checking for hot spots.?? This would apply to charcoal grill ashes as well.
All ashes should then be stored in a fire-resistant metal container with a tight fitting cover.? This helps keep air from blowing through and disturbing ashes which can leave hot coals exposed for reigniting.? Approved containers are available at local retailers.? They should NEVER be disposed in a plastic garbage box or can, a cardboard box, or paper grocery bag.? Never use a vacuum cleaner to pick up ashes.
The metal container should be placed away from anything that can burn.? It should not be placed next to a firewood pile, up against or in the garage, on or under a wood deck, or under a porch.? After sitting for a week in the metal container the ashes are then safe to dispose of in your trash.
As a safety precaution keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from a fireplace, wood stove, or any other heating equipment, and create a three-foot ?kid-free zone? around open fires. Also, make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying, and never leave a fire unattended, particularly when children are present.