The snow is finally here!
Colorado is getting hit with a lot of snow, in the high country. Even though this has many positives associated with it, there are also many possible negatives to keep in mind.
One of the Salida Forest Rangers was found dead from frostbite, the first week of January.
Some of the important things that the Search and Rescue wanted to remind us about, is to make sure to do the following-as a bare minimum-when going out in the mountains;
* Take along extra clothes-Layering is a necessity in Colorado.
* Make sure to have enough water, and food.
* Tell someone where you are going, and when you expect to be
* Take along a GPS device or a Cell phone. They can often find
someone this way from its signal.
* Carry a small fire-starting kit.
The following sites also offer helpful information;
Colorado Avalanche Information Center
Park County Search and Rescue-Avalanche Awareness
Chaffee County Search and Rescue-10 essentials and Hiking Guide
We are so lucky to be able to enjoy the outdoors, here in Colorado.
The quarterly newsletter have been mailed, and the online version is available on our website here.